01 December 2007

DECEMBER ALREADY

Finally getting the routine down. I plan to upload an update each Sunday with the last weeks events. So far I have been behind, but I will try to be better in the future. I need to figure out how to get pictures posted. The last week flew by – I don’t know if it was lack of sleep or just so busy I did not realize it was already another week done. I can not believe it is already December. Hopefully December will go as fast as November.

I have not traveled since right before Thanksgiving and it was kind of nice to get organized. I have started a little running group that is working towards the Key West Half Marathon in January. We sneak (shhh don’t tell the boss) out a couple afternoons for a run and then do a longer run on Sundays. It fits in nicely between the normal meetings and the little time off. I am able to finish running, cool off and still make it to church before I have to get back to work on Sundays. The church is okay. It is more like a school auditorium than a church, but the building is not what matters. The gym is also nice. I have tried to start going to gym again, but have not been too regular with that yet.

I did stumble across the Camp Fallujah Hash House Harriers. I tried it out tonight and it was pretty fun. A small group, but seemed fun. We went crawling over walls, scaling Hesco barriers (big expandable bins you fill with dirt that are all over Iraq), and dodging razor wire. I only ended up with one slice on my hand. For those that don’t know the Hash is a running club where the send a couple people out to set a trail. We then run after them by following clues in an attempt to get to the end. We meet up at the finish and tell funny stories, sing some songs, and drink some beer (non-alcoholic or course).

I finished up my Navy War College program I have been working on for the last year and a half. Not nearly as tough as Jarrell’s graduate degree, it was still a pain and I am glad to be done. Now I am working on my “Fleet Marine Force” qualification. It is program you can do on deployment that teaches you all about the Marines we are supporting. It just helps know how to talk the talk and understand the capabilities of our boss. We have had a bunch of people take the Marine Corp Martial Arts Program. It is hand to hand combat training that goes up in different levels with different belts (kind of like karate). Something tells me I would get flung all over the place if I did that. Good thing it does not fit my schedule.

That’s about it for now. I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations on finishing school! Glad you're getting to run and hash on base. Holiday fun is in the mail!

Anonymous said...

Work, school, running, church.....
Mind, body, and spirit- I'm glad you have a little time for all three. It is hard to have a balanced life when work demands most of your time and energy.

Anonymous said...

Hashing sounds great even if it is non-alcoholic, I haven't hashed since I left KW, and boy do I miss it and all the fun we used to have. Hope that you are doing well, keep training, I will think of you on the day of the half marathon. Miss you!!