07 March 2008

GETTING CLOSER

Things have been crazy here, but now that the underwater cable has been repaired our internet connection is back to its normal crawling speed. Not fast, but at least it will get somewhere on the net. Sorry it has been so long since I have posted. My relief is here and we have spent the last week transitioning things from him to me. I am not quite out of here yet, but it is starting to build. Transitions are always very difficult though. There are twice the people and not enough computer assets. Things I was able to do in thirty minutes take two hours since I am teaching while doing. The new team is enthusiastic and full of energy (which is a great thing), but it is just always hard to manage the days requirements, meetings, transition, packing and everything in between.

One interesting item was coming across a Chief who used to work for me when he was a junior enlisted troop in Key West. He keeps threatening to tell stories from down there, but I have told everyone that no matter what he says it is made up. J We spent the other afternoon catching up on where people were that we worked with. It was a nice stroll down memory lane.

On another important note, I just received my next assignment orders. I will be heading back to DC for a couple more years of beltway fun. The assignment is for the Commander, Naval Installations Command (CNI for short) which is the command which “owns” all the bases around the world. I think I will be in the Military Construction (MILCON) Department, but it is not for sure yet. It will all be based on timing. When I get home, I am the “Special Projects” guy for a couple months which really just means I get tagged with things they need to get done, but have not focused on yet. I will most likely be bouncing back and forth between DC and Norfolk for one of the projects. I should be in DC by late July or early August.

Thanks for all the support while I have been out here and I will let everyone know when I make it stateside.

No comments: