18 February 2007

HOME AT LAST

Sorry it has been a couple weeks, but we moved camps in preparation for heading home. Besides the fact we lost our email accounts and all my usual sites were blocked, we have to be very careful as groups are preparing to travel. It is very important to not talk about dates, times, numbers, or routes. It can be a challenge as the families back home are trying to figure out when to come to the airport, but they do a great job of publishing the word with a recording the families could call. That saved the troops from telling stuff over the phone.

Turnover with the new unit went pretty well. It is very difficult when you try to give them all the information they need and history on the projects while also preparing to go home. Some of the departments go very quick, but the areas that have to inventory all the materials, tools, and equipment take a long time. Then you add in troops flying in from other locations, end of deployment briefs, and finally an excessive customs process and the days just get crammed. It took us an entire day for customs before we flew out. They go through every bag, every pocket, every zipper ensuring no one has contraband such as weapons, knives, war trophies, soils, etc. It is very invasive, but ensures things are done before you land in the states.

Bottom line is everyone made it home safe and sound. I will probably not update the blog for a while, but will try to post something every month or so until I deploy again. Thanks for all the support of me, my troops, and all service members. Everyone made it worth the sacrifice and your thoughts and prayers helped everyone through the tough times.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray! Words don't express how I feel about you being on USA soil. Thankfulness, relief, pride, love, plus .......

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back safe in the States...look forward to seeing you there in a few months.

Anonymous said...

Glad to have you back in the States. Come to DC, lose some more money playing poker with your old office mates!!

Anonymous said...

Allo'

Its me your cousin Emily. I am so happy that you are coming home! I can't wait because I might see you. I would have noticed this sooner but I have a lot going on. Pleas if you read this give my father a call and tell him to give me your number. Welcome home. ^^

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave, I and others in Key West are trying to get in touch with you. You should email Don or me so that we can get in touch with you. Hopefully you will get this and respond. Beth